Year 5 2015-2016
In just two weeks time the National tests will be taking place in school. There is no need to worry about any of these as we will be working through a few things as a class just to make sure we have covered everything we can. This will be an ideal time to ask any questions about anything you may be concerned about. Any extra work done at home will be helpful such as revising times tables, doing extra reading and practising spellings.
The second half term will be devoted to the Olympics as we approach the 2016 Olympics in Rio, South America. There will, of course be plenty of sports, trips and lots of the usual fun we always have in Greenway. Don't forget to let Mrs Anderson know if you have any suggestions.
You will need: Swimming costume (girls all in one), towel & a piece of fruit on the following days:-
Thursday 12th May
Monday 16th May
Tuesday 17th May
Wednesday 18th May
Thursday 19th May
You may bring your own goggles.
Summer Half Term 2
Here we go - off to Rio, Brazil for the Olympics 2016
What we'll be studying:
South America Rio
Mon 6th - 'Landofsong' performance at St Davids Hall followed by picnic in the Bay.
Fri 10th - Tag Rugby Festival at EHS.
Mon 13th - INSET - School closed to pupils.
Wed 22nd - Quad Athletics - CCY.
Thu 23rd - Y5 First Aid Training and Conflict Management.
Fri 24th - First Aid for parents
Thu 14th Japanese teacher visit to class
KS2 Sports Day
Welcome back to a new term and a brand new year.
Our topic this term is all about Earth and Space.
We shall be studying the sun, moon and the planets.
We have discussed some questions we'd like to find answers to:
"How hot is the sun?"
How far away is the moon?"
"Why does it go dark at night?"
"How many planets are there and what are they like?"
Hopefully we will be able to answer these by the end of the term and to help us, we will be visiting the planetarium in Techniquest.
As this is the term when we celebrate St David's Day, we have decided to study some books by Welsh authors or those with a Welsh theme. We shall be learning lots of new Welsh songs and poems. We shall be reading in Welsh as well as English and doing lots of activities like cooking and Welsh crafts.
PE this term will be all about exercise and movement to music. Hopefully, we it will stop raining so that we can get outside to do our usual cross country, netball and rugby.
Year 5 are really lucky to have Upbeat Music this term. We shall be learning Hip Hop and we simply can't wait!
- Upbeat-We have started our Hip Hop sessions and are busy preparing our CDs. These will be ready to take home after half term.
- Circuit training-We have also started our Keep Fit, Circuits sessions every Wednesday. The muscle aches and pains from the children are gradually decreasing and their scores are improving.
- Year 5 & 6 Concert-Acting parts for our play have been given out. Please encourage the children to learn their words at home as this helps the play fall into place much quicker. Thank you
- We have said 'Goodbye' to Mr Singer but he has promised to call back to see us soon-especially after tasting our delicious cawl. Da iawn to all our good cooks!
- Thurs 11th- Rumney Hub 'Open day' Year 5 workshop 1-2pm.
- 2-3pm-Year 5 & Year 6 artists to visit 'Artist Prize Ceremony'
- Fri 12th-INSET DAY
- Mon 22nd-RWCMD-Music Workshop
- Tue 23rd-Trip to St David's Hall for 'Mozart' Concert then to Central Library for some chilling-out time in the Children's section.
- Thursday 25th-Sports activities at Talybont.
Dates for your diary
- Weds 9th-'Good Morning Britain' performance at Wales Millennium Centre. Please be in school for 6:30am! Breakfast in Ty Coffi afterwards.
- Fri 18th-Girls Football Tornament at Bryn Hafod
- Mon 21st-23rd-St Madoc's camp.
- Thurs 8th-Year 5 Class Assembly- 9.30-9.50am. All welcome
- Tues 20th & Weds 21st-Parents Open Evenings from 3pm.
- Thurs 22nd-Harvest Service at 9.30. All welcome.
- Fri 23rd-Photo day-come looking extra smart!
- Half Term w/c 26/10
- Tuesday 3rd-Visit to Rumney Baptist Church-'Life' project.
- Friday 6th-Visit to Rhondda Heritage Park. Dress up warm as we will be going down a mine!
- Tues 10th 'Gamelan'-Performance at 2pm for Y3, Y4 & 6
- Victorian Workshop with Rainbow Theatre-Please dress up in any Victorian-style clothes if you have them.AM Embroidery samplers with Judith-our local artist with Mrs Anderson's mum and Lauren.
- Mon 23rd-ENTERPRISE WEEK' More information to follow.
- Mon 30th-Children's presentation of their Victorian project to Year 5 & 6.
"I liked it when we went in the old fashioned shop. It was funny to weigh things on the scales and the meat looked real" Sean
"It was so scary going in the lift. Everybody screamed and Mrs Seymour didn't like it!" Jorja
"When Graham made an explosion and Sky had to push the button, it was really loud and we all jumped" Lucius.
"Unfortunately it was raining, but it was still brilliant!" Leo.
"It was the best trip ever!" Katie.
With the light fading fast our boys won in a tightly contested match 7-6
- Weds 9th-Dress Rehearsal at EH School
- Mon 14th-KS2 Carol Service. 6pm-7pm. All welcome.
- Weds 16th-Christmas party.
- Thurs 17th-Christmas film treat-'A Christmas carol'-Greenway Hall
- Friday 18th December last day of term
It's almost that time of year again!
September 21st - 23rd
Incredible beaches, breath-taking views of the Welsh coast, tasty food and 'Salsa'-A fantastic experience. Wrap up warm!
Team-building activities on the beaches and in the forest.
Our topic this term is the Vile Victorians
As of the 9th September, Queen Victoria was the longest reigning British monarch.
How long was she on the throne?
How old was she when she became queen?
Who did she marry?
What was it like to be a child in Victorian Times?
We will be finding out very soon.
We will also be looking at many of the amazing inventions from this period - Some of which we still use today. I wonder if you can name a few!
MUSICAL & ACTING TALENTS
- Following our fantastic performance last term, we will have our UpBeat music experts working with us once again.
- 'Gamelan' from St David's hall will be working with us and putting on a music performance for parents after half term.
- Dance Club will commence the week after St Madoc's and continue on Wednesdays after school. As a practice for this, Mrs Anderson, Mrs Donnellly and Mrs Seymour (and possibly even Mr Naish) will be leading a Salsa evening at St Madoc's so come prepared!
- Fri 27th November-Eastern High School are coming to work with us in a 'Performing Arts' workshop.
- We are holding a special Christmas Carol service this year. All welcome.
Our Science topic this term is Magical Motion. We will be looking at different forces, as well as who can make the best paper aeroplane.
(Pictures and results to follow)
WHAT AN EVENTFUL TERM!